(MONTREAL, QC) The UNB Varsity Reds track and field record book underwent a massive re-write on the weekend, at the McGill Team Challenge, in Montreal.
The men's team finished a best fifth overall, out of 16 teams, led by Jon Gionet(Bathurst, NB), who won the shot-put competition. But, it was the eight school records that were broken that was the highlight.
- Jeff Retallick(Fredericton, NB) broke the 300-metre record of 35.60s with a performance of 35.07s. Jeff's time just narrowly missed the New Brunswick senior provincial record of 35.04s, set back in 1991.
- Michael Colford(New Maryland, NB) broke his own 1500-metre record of 4:06.9s, which he set just last week in Halifax, with a time of 4:02.31s. Colford then he broke Josh Shank's 3000-metre record of 8:41.36s by nearly 10 seconds, with a time of 8:31.93s.
- Troy Wilson(Woodstock, NB) added hundreds of points to his heptathlon record of 4014 with a final score of 4368. This score also broke the New Brunswick senior provincial record. Along the way, Troy broke his own school 60-metre hurdle record of 9.08s with a time of 9.04s.
- Kyle Lefort(Cheticamp, NS) tied the school high jump record of 1.95 metres.
- The 4x200-metre relay team of Tyrell Marin(Dalhousie, NB), Daniel Brown(Hampton NB), Braden Harrison(Fredericton, NB), and Retallick took nearly two seconds off of the school record of 1:31.73s with a time of 1:29.87s, and finished second, behind Guelph, who set a meet record in the race.
- The 4x400-metre team of Brown, Retallick, Brandon Archibald(Lower Onslow, NS, and Jonathan Bunn(Barrie, ON) took more than two seconds off the school record of 3:28.10s with a time of 3:26.14s.
"Out of 17 school records, our men's team have broken 12 this year," said Varsity Reds head coach Jason Reindl. "They are proving that this year's team is the best we've ever had, and with the amazing success from this weekend behind us and four weeks to go until the conference championships, we are very excited to bring our best to Moncton at the end of February."
Full results can be found at: http://www.trackie.com/track-and-field/Articles/mcgill-team-challenge-live-stream-live-results/15747/
Next up for the Varsity Reds, the NB Indoor Championships, on Saturday, February 4th, in Oromocto, followed by the Saint Mary's meet, in Halifax, on February 11th.
The team will then recharge before the Subway AUS Championships, in Moncton, February 24-25, and the U SPORTS championships, March 9-11 in Edmonton.